Endoscopic ultrasound or echo-endoscopy is a medical procedure in which endoscopy is combined with ultrasound to obtain images of the internal organs in the chest, abdomen and colon. It can be used to visualize the walls of these organs, or to look at adjacent structures.
EUS is ultrasound of internal structures surrounding the GI tract with the help of endoscope. EUS provides excellent resolution of pancreas, biliary system and the mediastinum.
EUS is performed by oral route after conscious sedation.
During EUS, sample can be taken from the nodes in mediastinum, tumor of pancreas and bile duct. With the help of endoscopic ultrasound various collections can be drained internally in the stomach or rectum and the major surgeries can be avoided.
Indications of EUS are
- Sampling of chest and abdominal nodes, adrenal gland
- Evaluation of dilated CBD without known cause
- Sampling of mass in pancreas or CBD
- Drainage of perirectal and peripancreatic collection
- Celiac plexus block for pain relief in patients with chronic pancreatitis
- Celtic plexus neurolysis for pain relief in patients with pancreatic cancer
- Stent placement in CBD or liver in case of failed ERCP